Understanding self-employed Tax and National Insurance

Rather than let the burden of tax worries upset your creative balance, take a look at this simple guide from the Money Advice Service and set your mind at ease.

One of the biggest frustrations we hear from freelancers is that on top of being a creative genius, you’re expected to spend some portion of every week being an accountant, credit controller or tax lawyer.


We’re doing our bit to help you out on the credit control side (see our payment commitment), but you still have tax and national insurance to worry about.


What’s covered?

This handy guide covers:

  • Working out your employment status
  • Registering as self-employed
  • How much can you earn tax free if you’re self-employed?
  • Income tax when self-employed
  • National Insurance Contributions if you’re self-employed
  • How to pay tax and National Insurance when self-employed
  • Corporation Tax


But we don’t want to spoil it for you, here’s the link to the full guide. And remember as year-end approaches and the panic starts to build, the link will always be here waiting for you.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *